Still on tour, including regular performances in Dunfermline, The Skids or sometimes just, Skids formed in 1977. Their first gig is reported to have been 19 August 1977 at the Belville Hotel, Pilmuir Street, Dunfermline.
The band’s biggest hit Into the Valley is the tune that Dunfermline Athletic Football Club team run out to for home matches.
John Peel declared Stuart Adamson “the new Hendrix” in the late 1970s when he heard him playing with Skids.
Richard Jobson has led the band from the beginning and is appreciative of Dunfermline’s Carnegie Library. As a teenager he would read and write in what he referred to as a “little temple” someof those lyrics ending up in final songs.
Original band members
- Stuart Adamson (guitar, keyboards, percussion and backing vocals),
- William Simpson (bass guitar and backing vocals),
- Thomas Kellichan (drums) and
- Richard Jobson (vocals, guitar and keyboards)
Lineup in 2020
- Richard Jobson – vocals, guitar
- William Simpson – bass guitar, vocals
- Mike Baillie – drums, vocals, percussion
- Bruce Watson – guitar, vocals
- Jamie Watson – guitar, vocals
Former band members include Rusty Egan and Russell Webb
Into the Valley – top 10 UK singles chart – 17.2.1979 Position 10